Round trip to work costs how much??

Friday, October 10, 2008 Myron
In these current times of high gas prices and economic woes I'm always looking at cost savings and cost cutting measures for the personal finances. I recently stumbled upon a new little website that helps you estimate the cost of your trip by calculating the distance, the car brand and type and the current cost of gas. It can be found at http://www.city-data.com/gas/gas.php. So I put in my home address and my work address at $3.30 a gallon (which is about the average cost in Phoenix right now). So, based on this little calculator I'm spending around $6.00 a day just to go to work and back. That turns into $30 a week or $1565 a year and that doesn't include trips to go get lunch or run errands in the middle of the day. This doesn't even begin to include the cost of maintainence or purchase price of a vehicle. Luckily for me the car has been paid off for years, but within the last month alone I have plopped over $700 into new strut mounts and new breaks and then another $85 on a new tire.

Oyi...I wish mass transit was a more viable option. On the converse if I routinely worked from home one day a week for the whole year the yearly cost would only be $1251 which is a savings of $313 and possibly hundreds more on maintainence savings.

Time to get approval for more telecommuting!!

1 comments: Round trip to work costs how much??

Erin said...
October 13, 2008 at 8:41 PM

No way! You're actually updating this blog!?? :)
I love the darker wood bed on the right in the previous post. Very nice. Lucky for us Addison hasn't attempted climbing out of her crib...yet.